When the Holy Month of Ramadan arrives, parents start to think how will they spend this month with their children with the least amount of vigorous efforts, and a great deal of joy that distinguishes this holy month from rest of the year. Although children at the nursery or kindergarten will not fast, they can realize the changes that occur in terms of the day meals, and religious/ social activities.
We have gathered some useful ideas to help you spend a nice and light Ramadan with your child:
- At the beginning of Ramadan, tell your child that a new friend called “Ramadan” will visit the family, and this friend will bring with it a nice change.
- Allocate special time to narrate a Ramadan tale every day such as the tale of lanterns and the Misaharati (The man who calls for Ramadan Sohour meal).
- By using or buying native clothing, make your child a simple toy, and play together in the puppet theater. Using this method, you can represent several stories that explain simple Ramadan concepts.
- If your child is 4 years or older, try to encourage them to participate in the preparation of simple desserts, such as the Qatayif. You can also ask your child to pack dates or desserts and distribute them to your neighbors.
- Don’t forget traditional games, such as puzzles and jigsaws that give your child the chance to spend a long time attentively playing with, and at the same time grants you time to relax.
Remember, you can always cooperate with the nursery or the kindergarten, and seek their help to carry out joint activities in Ramadan. We, at Little Academy Nursery, add joyful atmospheres in the nursery during Ramadan with the decorations that take place in class and around the Nursery as well as spending a special time celebrating Garangao. We also amend our timetable to suit the new working hours in Qatar which in return is convenient for both staff and parents.